Happy Thursday! Welcome to this week’s Let’s Learn a New Crochet Stitch – Kitchen Crochet Edition event. This week I am going to show you the Grit Stitch in this photo tutorial, plus give you instructions for a dishcloth in sizes 6″ x 6″, 9″ x 9″ and 12″ x 12″. I hope you enjoy the tutorial and pattern! Happy Crocheting!
Grit Stitch Tutorial & Dishcloth Pattern
- Approximately 36 yds of worsted weight cotton yarn in any color of your choosing. I used Lily Sugar ‘n Cream* in Black Currant.
- Size I Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch(s) – chain(s)
st(s) – stitch(es)
sc – single crochet
dc – double crochet
sk – skip
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
3.8 sts & 2.5 rows = 1″
6″ x 6″
9″ x 9″
12″ x 12″
- This pattern is written in US terms
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
- This pattern is written for a 6″ x 6″ dishcloth with stitch counts for 9″ x 9″ and 12″ x 12″ written in parenthesis. The 9″ dishcloth stitch counts will be written in italics and the 12″ dishcloth stitch counts will be written in bold.
This will give you approximately an 6″ x 6″ square. You can add a simple sc border around the square to finish it off.
Ch 23 (35, 47)
Row 1: Work 1 dc into the 3rd ch from hook (2 sk chs count as 1 sc), *sk next ch, work 1 sc and 1 dc in the next ch** Repeat from * to ** until there are 2 chs remaining, sk next ch, work 1 sc into the last ch, turn. (21, 33, 45)
Row 2: Ch 1 (count as 1 sc), work 1 dc into the first st, *sk next st, work 1 sc and 1 dc into the next st** Repeat from * to ** across until there are 2 sts remaining, sk next st, work 1 sc into the t-ch, turn. (21, 33, 45)
Row 3-15: Repeat Row 2 (for 6″ dishcloth)
Row 3-23: Repeat Row 2 (9″ dishcloth)
Row 3-30: Repeat Row 2 (12″ dishcloth)
Fasten off, weave all ends.
You can add a simple border by joining your yarn with a sl st in one of the stitches, sc evenly around placing 3 sc sts in each corner, join in beginning sc with an invisible join. Fasten off, weave ends.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!
If you would like to purchase the supplies used in this tutorial, please help support my blog by making your purchases through my affiliate links!
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.