School is almost back in session and we are getting organized with the perfect back to school accessory! It is a quick and easy to make pencil pouch that can also be used as a crochet hook holder. I designed this pattern for the Design, Create, Repeat One Skein Wonder Blog Hop so make sure to check out over 30 other fabulous patterns featured in this series. Scroll down to check out the FREE crochet pattern for my Simple Pencil Pouch/Hook Case. I hope you enjoy it! Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Simple Pencil Pouch/Hook Case
Purchase PDF on Etsy
- Approximately 75 yds of Category 1 Super Fine Yarn; I used Scheepjes Cotton 8* in the 720 Fuchsia colorway
- Size F 3.75 mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
- 1 – 1″ Button
ch(s) – chain(s)
dc – double crochet
sc – single crochet
sl st(s) – slip stitch(es)
st(s) – stitch(es)
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
15.2 stitches & 13.2 rows = 4″ (in pattern stitch)
Approximately 4″ wide and 15″ long, before seamed
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
- This project is worked flat and then seamed up the sides to create a pouch.
Ch an even number of stitches
Row 1: 1 sc into the 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc into each remaining st across, turn. (15 sts)
Row 2: Ch 1, 1 sc into the first st, 1 dc into the next st, *1 sc into the next st, 1 dc into the next st; Repeat from * across, turn. (15 sts)
Row 3-49: Repeat Row 2
Row 50: Repeat Row 2, fasten off.
- Join yarn into the 6th st with a sl st, ch 16, sk the next 3 sts, join into the next st with a sl st. Fasten off. (This is the closure for your pouch.)
- Bring both ends of the pouch together so that beginning row meets the end row.
- Using the yarn needle and some extra yarn, whip stitch the sides closed, leaving the top of the pouch open.
- Position the button so that it is taught under the chain closure. Sew into place using yarn and needle.
- Weave all ends.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.