UPDATED 8/6/2015: I’ve had this pattern on my blog for 2 years and I looked back at it and realized that it was time for an update. It’s such a cute little clutch but the pattern was not so stellar. I have learned a lot in the past few years about writing patterns (and about photography) so I have decided to revive this pattern! I hope that you like it. Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Crochet Mini Clutch Purse
- Approximately 59 yds of Category 4 Medium Weight Yarn in 2 colors:
- Size J 6 mm Crochet Hook*
- 1- 1″ button
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
BL – back loop
ch – chain
hdc – half double crochet
hdc dec – half double crochet decrease
st(s) – stitch(es)
sk – skip
sc – single crochet
sl st – slip stitch
sp(s) – space(s)
st(s) – stitch(es)
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
Approximately 6.5″ wide x 3.5″ long
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- All stitches are worked through both loops unless otherwise noted.
- The pattern is worked in rounds and then transitions to rows for the flap.
- Color changes are made in the last yarn over of the last stitch in the row/round (see tutorial listed below)
With Color A,
Ch 45. Without twisting, sl st in beginning ch.
Round 1: Ch 1, 1 sc in each st around. Join in beginning sc. (44)
Round 2-4: Ch 1, 1 hdc in each st around. Join in beginning hdc. (44)
Change to Color B
Round 5: Ch 1, 1 sc into each st around. Join in beginning sc. (44)
Round 6: Ch 1, 1 sc in the BL of each st around. Join in beginning sc. (44)
Change to Color A
Round 7-9: Ch 1, 1 hdc into each st around. Join in beginning hdc. (44)
Now work the flap
Row 1: Ch 1, 1 hdc in each of the next 22 sts, turn. (22)
Row 2: Ch 1 hdc dec, 1 hdc in each of the next 18 sts, hdc dec, turn. (20)
Row 3: Ch 1, hdc dec, 1 hdc in each of the next 16 sts, hdc dec, turn. (18)
Row 4: Ch 1, 1 hdc in each st across, turn. (18)
Row 5: Ch 1, [hdc dec] twice, 1 hdc in each of the next 4 sts, ch 2, sk the next 2 sts (button hole made), hdc into each of the next 4 sts, [hdc dec] twice, turn. (14)
Change to Color B
Row 6: Ch 1, sc in each st around the flap and top round of clutch. Join in beginning sc. Fasten off.
(Note: I like to do an invisible join here so that it looks neat and finished. See tutorial listed above.)
- Turn the clutch purse inside out and using Color A and yarn needle, whip stitch the bottom closed (see tutorial listed above).
- Weave all ends.
- Line button up with the button hole and sew button onto the clutch using yarn needle and yarn or needle and thread.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.