It’s time to learn a new crochet stitch! This week I am showing you the Popcorn Stitch! It is a beautifully textured stitch and is not as hard as it looks. I will show you the stitch and also give you the instructions to turn it into an 8″x8″ square. Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Popcorn Stitch and Afghan Square
- Category 4 Medium Weight Yarn; I used Lily Sugar ‘n Cream* for this example
- Size I 5.5 mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sp – space
st(s) – stitch(es)
t-ch – turning chain
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
6 stitches and 3 rows=2″
Row 1: 1 sc into the 2nd ch from hook
Row 1 cont’d: 1 sc into each st across, turn.
Row 2: Ch 4 (count as 1 dc and ch-1 space)
Row 2 cont’d: Sk the next st. We are going to work the popcorn stitch now. 5 dc into the next st.
Row 2 cont’d: Remove hook from loop of the last dc. Insert hook from front to back into top of first dc.
Row 2 cont’d: Pick up the dropped loop from the last dc made.
Row 2 cont’d: Pull the loop through. This finishes off the popcorn st. Ch 1.
Row 2 cont’d: Sk the next st, 1 dc into the next st.
Row 3: Ch 1, 1 sc into each st and each ch-1 sp across.
Row 3 cont’d: End with 1 sc in the t-ch sp and 1 sc into the 3rd ch of the t-ch, turn.
Row 4: Repeat Row 2.
Repeat Rows 3 and 4 for 12 more rows. Repeat Row 3 for a nice finished edge.
You can also add a simple sc edging to your square but I didn’t since mine was already 8×8 without the edging.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.