It’s time to learn a new crochet stitch pattern! We have a new theme for our Let’s Learn a New Crochet Stitch event! Rhondda and I will now be focusing on Kitchen Crochet. We are now going to incorporate our stitch tutorials into dishcloths and other kitchen crochet items.
This week I am going to show you the Forked Half Double Crochet Stitch dishcloth in a 6″x 6″ size. I have included the instructions for sizes 9″ x 9″ and 12″ x 12″ as well. Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Forked Half Double Crochet Stitch & Dishcloth Pattern
- Worsted weight yarn in any color of your choosing. I used Lily Sugar ‘n Cream* in Yellow for this example.
- Size I Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch – chain
st(s) – stitch(es)
sp – space
hdc – half double crochet
sc – single crochet
sl st – slip stitch
sk – skip
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
Any number of stitches
3.5 stitches & 2 rows = 1″
- This pattern is written in US terms
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
- This pattern is written for a 6″ x 6″ dishcloth with stitch counts for 9″ x 9″ and 12″ x 12″ written in parenthesis. The 9″ dishcloth stitch counts will be written in italics and the 12″ dishcloth stitch counts will be written in bold.
Forked Half Double Crochet (Forked hdc)
- Yarn over, insert hook into designated stitch
- Yarn over, pull up a loop (3 loops on hook)
- Yarn over, insert hook into next st
- Yarn over, pull up a loop (5 loops on hook)
- Yarn over, pull through 3 loops
- Yarn over, pull through remaining 3 loops
Row 3-9: Repeat Row 2
This will give you approximately an 6″ x 6″ square. You can add a simple sc border around the square to finish it off.
Ch 21 (31, 42)
Row 1: Work 1 Forked hdc in the 3rd & 4th ch from hook, *work a Forked hdc in the same st as previous Forked hdc and next st** repeat across until there is one st remaining, dc in last st, turn. (18, 28, 39)
Row 2: Ch 3, work a Forked hdc in the top of the dc from previous row and in next st, *work a Forked hdc in the same st as previous Forked hdc and in next st.** Repeat from * to ** across, 1 dc in the t-ch, turn. (18, 28, 39)
Row 3-9: Repeat Row 2 (for 6″ dishcloth)
Row 3-13: Repeat Row 2 (9″ dishcloth)
Row 3-18: Repeat Row 2 (12″ dishcloth)
Fasten off, weave all ends.
You can add a simple single crochet border by joining your yarn with a sl st in one of the stitches, sc evenly around placing 3 sc sts in each corner, join in beginning sc. Fasten off, weave ends.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.