It’s time to learn a new crochet stitch pattern! Welcome to this week’s Let’s Learn a New Crochet Stitch – Kitchen Crochet Edition event! This week I am going to show you the Linen Stitch in this photo tutorial plus give you instructions for a dishcloth in sizes 6″ x 6″, 9″ x 9″ and 12″ x 12″. Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Linen Stitch & Dishcloth Pattern
- Worsted weight cotton yarn in any color of your choosing.
- Size I Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
st(s) – stitch(es)
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
Chain an even number of stitches
4.3 stitches & 4 rows = 1″
6″ x 6″
9″ x 9″
12″ x 12″
- This pattern is written in US terms
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
- This pattern is written for a 6″ x 6″ dishcloth with stitch counts for 9″ x 9″ and 12″ x 12″ written in parenthesis. The 9″ dishcloth stitch counts will be written in italics and the 12″ dishcloth stitch counts will be written in bold.
Row 3-24 – Repeat Row 2
This will give you approximately an 6″ x 6″ square. You can add a simple sc border around the square to finish it off. I did a smaller dishcloth with a larger 2-color border. If you want to make a larger border and still want a 6×6 dishcloth, reduce your starting chain.
Ch 26 (38, 52)
Row 1: Work 1 sc in the 4th ch from hook (counts as sc and ch 1), *ch 1, sk next st, 1 sc into the next st** Repeat from * to ** across, changing colors in the last yarn over of the last sc, turn. (25, 37, 51)
Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as sc and ch 1), sk the first sc, sc into the next ch-1 space, * ch 1, sk next st, sc into next ch-1 sp** Repeat from * to ** across working last sc in the t-ch, changing colors in the last yarn over of the last sc, turn. (25, 37, 51)
Row 3-24: Repeat Row 2 (for 6″ dishcloth)
Row 3-36: Repeat Row 2 (9″ dishcloth)
Row 3-48: Repeat Row 2 (12″ dishcloth)
Fasten off, weave all ends.
You can add a simple single crochet border by joining your yarn with a sl st in one of the stitches, sc evenly around placing 3 sc sts in each corner, join in beginning sc with an invisible join. Fasten off, weave ends.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.