I’m so excited to share my last contribution for the 2018 Holiday Stashdown CAL! If you are not familiar with the Holiday Stashdown CAL, you can find more information about it here! This Simple Color Block Cowl is the perfect stashbuster project! You can use leftovers of any chunky yarn you have to create a stylish cowl. I hope you enjoy the pattern. Just scroll down below for the instructions 🙂 Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts! I also received complimentary yarn from LoveKnitting/LoveCrochet to be used in my design. I was not financially compensated to use this products in my post.
I love this cowl because you can use any chunky yarn you have in your stash! I used some beautiful Paintbox Simply Chunky that was provided to me by LoveCrochet. This yarn was so great to work with. It is soft and makes for a very cozy cowl. The colors are all gorgeous. I particularly liked my color combination. The yarn glided along my hook with ease and did not split at all which you would normally see with some chunky yarns. I really loved working with my Paintbox yarns and can’t wait to order some more!
Simple Color Block Cowl
Purchase PDF on Etsy
- Approximately 249 yds of Category 5 Chunky Yarn in 3 colors:
- Size L 7mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sp(s) – space(s)
st(s) – stitch(es)
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
12 stitches & 10 rows = 4″ (in pattern stitch)
Approximately 8″ wide and 39″ long, before seamed.
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
- This project is worked flat and then seamed at the ends to create a cowl.
- Color changes are made in the last yarn over in the last stitch of the row.
With Color A, Ch 25
Row 1: 1 sc into the 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc into each st across, turn. (24 sts)
Row 2: Ch 1, 1 sc into the first st, 1 dc into next st, *1 sc into the next st, 1 dc into the next st; Repeat from * across, turn. (24 sts)
Row 3-32: Repeat Row 2
Change to Color B
Row 33: Ch 1, 1 sc into each st across, turn. (24 sts)
Row 34-64: Repeat Row 2
Change to Color C
Row 65: Ch 1, 1 sc into each st across, turn. (24 sts)
Row 66-96: Repeat Row 2
- Fasten off, leave a long tail for sewing.
- Bring both ends of the scarf together so that beginning row meets the end row.
- Using the yarn tail and yarn needle, whip stitch the ends together.
- Weave all ends.
A huge thank you to LoveCrochet for providing the yarn used in my project!
#HolidayStashdown #CALCentralCrochet #LoveCrochet
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.