Yesterday I showed you how to make these adorable and patriotic Granny Stars. Today, I’ll show you how to turn those stars into Star Granny Squares! It’s a quick and super simple pattern. They are great for coasters, a granny square blanket, and more. There are so many possibilities! I hope you enjoy the pattern. Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Crochet Star Granny Square
- Size G Crochet Hook(affiliate link)
- Small amount of Worsted Weight Yarn in 3 colors. I used Lily Sugar n Cream(affiliate link) and Red Heart Creme de la Creme(affiliate link)
- Tapestry needle for weaving ends
MC – magic circle
ch – chain
sc – single crochet
dc – double crochet
sl st – slip stitch
sk – skip
BLO – back loop only
- Finished square measures approximately 4″x 4″
- For a larger (or smaller) square, you can go up or down a hook size.
Make a Granny Star using this tutorial.
Round 1: Join your yarn into the 2nd ch (not the ch space) of one of your star “points.” Ch 3. 2 dc in the same st. Ch 2. 3 dc into the BLO of next sc from previous round. *Ch 2. 3 dc into the 2nd ch (not the ch space) of the next star point. Ch 2. 3 dc into the BLO of next sc from previous round* Repeat * 3 more times. Ch 2. Join in the beginning ch 3. Fasten off.
Round 2: Join your next color in any ch 2 space. Ch 3. 2 dc in same space. Ch 2. 3 dc in the next ch 2 space from previous round. Ch 2. [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc] in next ch 2 space. [Ch 2. 3 dc in next space], twice. Ch 2. [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc] in next ch 2 space. [Ch 2. 3 dc in next space], twice. Ch 2. [3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc] in next space. Ch 2. 3 dc into next space. ch 2. 3 dc, ch 2 into the same space where you joined your yarn. Join to beginning ch 3. Fasten off, weave ends.
If you’re going to use the granny square as a coaster or decorative item, you can do a simple sc border around it like I did or choose another border. If you want to join them together to make a blanket, you can leave them as is.
I hope you like the pattern! If you have any questions, please contact me 🙂
If you would like to purchase the supplies that I used for this project and support my blog, you can do both by making your purchases through my affiliate links!
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.