I have been experimenting with some applique designs lately and I just got a request from a friend to design a palm tree applique. I was so excited because even though it’s a simple pattern, it was something different for me to try. It’s a great summer/ beach themed applique for a hat, blanket or anything else you might want to put it on. The pattern works up super quickly. It took me about 15 minutes in total. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Palm Tree Applique
- 15 yds of worsted weight yarn in main color (A) I used Lily Sugar n’ Cream Jute (affiliate link)
- 8 yds of worsted weight yarn in accent color (B) I used Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton Snap Pea (affiliate link)
- Size H Crochet Hook (affiliate link), for Tree Trunk
- Size J Crochet Hook (affiliate link), for Palm Fronds
- Tapestry Needle, for weaving ends
hdc – half double crochet
sc dec – single crochet decrease
With Color A and Size H Hook,
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each st across. Ch 1, turn. (4)
Row 2-4: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn (4)
Row 5: Sc dec, sc in each of the next 2 sts. Ch 1, turn (3)
Row 6-9: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn (3)
Row 10: Sc dec, sc in the next st. Ch 1, turn (2)
Row 11-15: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn (2)
Row 16: Sc dec. Ch 1, turn (1)
Row 17: Sc across. Ch 1, turn (1)
Sc evenly around entire tree trunk, making sure to place 2 sc sts in each of the bottom corners. Fasten off. (Note: If you are attaching the finished Palm Tree to something like a hat or afghan, leave a long tail for sewing. Otherwise, weave all of your ends.)
With Color B and Size J Hook,
Magic Circle (alternatively, ch 4 and join to form a circle)
*Ch 8, hdc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in the next st, dc in the next st, tr in the next 2 sts, dc in the next 2 sts, sl st into circle** (7)
Repeat from * to ** 4 more times. Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.
Position the palm fronds onto the tree trunk. Using the long tail from the fronds and a tapestry or yarn needle, sew the fronds onto the tree trunk. Fasten off and weave all ends.
If you would like to purchase the supplies for this project and help support my blog, you can do both by making your purchases through my affiliate links!
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.