I have been experimenting with some applique designs lately and I just got a request from a friend to design a palm tree applique. I was so excited because even though it’s a simple pattern, it was something different for me to try. It’s a great summer/ beach themed applique for a hat, blanket or anything else you might want to put it on. The pattern works up super quickly. It took me about 15 minutes in total. Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Palm Tree Applique
- Approximately 23 yds of Category 4 Medium Weight Yarn in 2 colors:
- Size H 5mm Crochet Hook*
- Size J 6mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
dc – double crochet
hdc – half double crochet
sc – single crochet
sc dec – single crochet decrease
sl st – slip stitch
st(s) – stitch(es)
tr – treble crochet
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
With Color A and Size H Hook,
Row 1: 1 sc into the 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc into each remaining st across, turn. (4 sts)
Row 2-4: Ch 1, 1 sc into each st across, turn. (4 sts)
Row 5: Ch 1, 1 sc dec over the next 1 sts, 1 sc into each of the next 2 sts, turn. (3 sts)
Row 6-9: Ch 1, 1 sc into each st across, turn. (3 sts)
Row 10: Ch 1, 1 sc dec over the next 2 sts, 1 sc into the next st, turn. (2 sts)
Row 11-15: Ch 1, 1 sc into each st across, turn. (2 sts)
Row 16: Ch 1, 1 sc dec over the next 2 sts, turn. (1 st)
Row 17: Ch 1, 1 sc into the next st, turn. (1 st)
Sc evenly around entire tree trunk, making sure to place 2 sc sts into each of the bottom corners. Fasten off. (Note: If you are attaching the finished Palm Tree to something like a hat or afghan, leave a long tail for sewing. Otherwise, weave all of your ends.)
With Color B and Size J Hook,
Magic Circle (alternatively, ch 4 and join to form a circle)
*Ch 8, 1 hdc into the 2nd ch from hook, 1 hdc into the next st, 1 dc into the next st, 1 tr into each of the next 2 sts, 1 dc into each of the next 2 sts, sl st into magic circle; Repeat from * 4 more times. Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing. (5 leaves, 7 sts per leaf)
- Position the palm fronds onto the tree trunk. Using the long tail from the fronds and a yarn needle, sew the fronds onto the tree trunk.
- Fasten off and weave all ends.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.