I’m so excited to be able to bring you the new stitch of the week! I hope you are all excited to learn the Moss Stitch. It’s one of my favorites. It is similar to a crunch stitch and is made with a series of half double crochets and slip stitches. Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Moss Stitch Afghan Square
- Category 4 Medium Weight Yarn; I used Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton for this example.
- Size I 5.5 mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch – chain
hdc – half double crochet
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
t-ch – turning chain
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
14 stitches = 4″ & 8 rows = 4″
Chain any multiple of 2
To make an 8″ x 8″ square,
Row 1: Sl st into the second ch from hook, *1 hdc into the next ch, sl st into the next ch; Repeat from * across, turn.
Row 2: Ch 1, *sl st into the first st, 1 hdc into the next st; Repeat from * across working the last st into the t-ch, turn.
Row 3-18: Repeat Row 2.
The finished square measures approximately 8″ x 8″ without an edging. If you add an edging, it will be slightly larger.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.