Do you have old, worn ornaments that you just want to get rid of? I have a bunch that have been melted by the lights on my Christmas tree. Since I hate to get rid of slightly worn ornaments, I decided to dress them up with this pretty Love and Joy Ornament Cover. I hope you enjoy it! Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Love and Joy Ornament Cover
- Approximately 42 yds of Lion Brand BonBon Yarns – Celebrate Pack*
- 12 yds of Color A – Purple
- 15 yds of Color B – Green
- 15 yds of Color C – Pink
- 9″ Ornament
- Size F 3.75mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch – chain
st(s) – stitch(es)
hdc – half double crochet
dc – double crochet
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
7 stitches & 3 rows = 1″
Each piece is 4.5″ diameter before seamed
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
- The chain spaces are included in the stitch counts at the end of each round.
With Color A,
Magic Circle, ch 3 (count as dc here and throughout)
Round 1: Work 2 dc into the magic circle, *ch 2, 3 dc into magic circle** Repeat from * to ** 2 more times, ch 2, join to beginning ch-3. Fasten off. (20)
Round 2: Join Color B in any ch-2 sp with a sl st, ch 3, [2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc into the ch-2 sp], *ch 3, [3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc into next ch-2 sp]** Repeat from * to ** 2 more times, ch 3, join to beginning ch-3. Fasten off. (40)
Round 3: Join Color C with a sl st in any ch-1 sp, ch 3, work 1 dc into each st and ch-sp around, join in beginning ch-3. (40)
Round 4: Ch 1, work 1 hdc into the BL of each st around, join in beginning hdc. Fasten off. (40)
Round 5: Join Color A in the same st as join, ch 1, work 1 hdc into the 3rd loop of each st around, join in beginning hdc. Fasten off. (40)
Round 6: Join Color B in the same st as join, ch 3, work 1 dc into each st around, join in beginning ch-3. Fasten off, leave a 15″ long tail for sewing. (40)
- Bring both pieces together, around the ornament.
- Using yarn tail and yarn needle, start sewing the two pieces together using a whip stitch or mattress stitch. I used the mattress stitch to seam my pieces together but you can also use the whip stitch if it is easier.
- Start at the top near the ornament cap and stitch all the way around to the other side of the cap, leaving the cap exposed.
- I also whip stitched around the cap to cinch up the top of the ornament cover.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.