Welcome to the Scarf of the Month Club!
We have 3 new gorgeous scarf/cowl patterns for you for the month of July!
If you are new to the Scarf of the Month Club, it is a series of free scarf/cowl patterns that are created by The Stitchin’ Mommy (me!) and Oombawka Design. Every month, Rhondda and I will each share one free crochet pattern for a scarf, infinity scarf, or cowl/neckwarmer, through December 2016. Plus, as a bonus, we have some amazing Mystery Designers that will also be providing free scarf patterns. By December, you will have 36 scarf/cowl patterns to choose from to make as gifts or create for yourself!
If you have already started making the patterns in this series, don’t forget to share your progress with us by adding Ravelry Project Pages for the scarves you make! Each pattern post will include a specific pattern link to Ravelry so you can add your own project pages!
We would also love to see your projects on Instagram! Tag us on Instagram at @thestitchinmommy and/or @oombawkadesign and use the hashtag #ScarfoftheMonthClub to share your progress with us!
Also, check out our Facebook Group, Crochet With Us where can share your progress, ask questions, and get help!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Rustic Chunky Button Cowl
- Approximately 170 yds of Category 6 super bulky yarn; I used Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick in the Hudson Bay colorway*
- Size N 9 mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
- 1″ Button* (3)
- Thread and sewing needle (optional)
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sp(s) – space(s)
st(s) – stitch(es)
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
8 stitches & 6 rows = 4″
Approximately 10″ wide and 36.5″ long before seamed
Any number of stitches
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
Row 1: 1 sc into the 2nd ch from hook and into each st across, turn. (20)
Row 2: Ch 3 (count as 1 dc), sk the first st, 1 dc into each st across, turn. (20)
Row 3: Repeat Row 2
Row 4: Ch 1, 1 sc into the first st, 1 sc into each remaining st across, working the last st into the t-ch, turn. (20)
Row 5: Repeat Row 4
Row 6-7: Repeat Row 2
Row 8-9: Repeat Row 4
Row 10-11: Repeat Row 2
Row 12-13: Repeat Row 4
Row 14-15: Repeat Row 2
Row 16-17: Repeat Row 4
Row 18-19: Repeat Row 2
Row 20-21: Repeat Row 4
Row 22-23: Repeat Row 2
Row 24-25: Repeat Row 4
Row 26-27: Repeat Row 2
Row 28-29: Repeat Row 4
Row 30-31: Repeat Row 2
Row 32-33: Repeat Row 4
Row 34-35: Repeat Row 2
Row 36-37: Repeat Row 4
Row 38-39: Repeat Row 2
Row 40-41: Repeat Row 4
Row 42-43: Repeat Row 2
Row 44-45: Repeat Row 4
Row 46-47: Repeat Row 2
Row 48-49: Repeat Row 4
Row 50-51: Repeat Row 2
Row 52-53: Repeat Row 4
Row 54-55: Repeat Row 2
Row 56: Ch 1, 1 sc into each st across, fasten off, weave all ends.
- Place your 3 buttons evenly along Row 2
- Using needle and thread (or yarn and yarn needle) sew buttons on, making sure to secure them around the posts of the dc sts in Row 2.
- There are no button holes needed for the cowl because of the nature of the stitches. You can button anywhere along the cowl through the dc sts.
Want to stay up to date on the newest scarf pattern releases for the Scarf of the Month Club? Sign up for our monthly notification email! You will receive one email per month when the scarf patterns are released. Sign up using the form below:
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.