I received some of this gorgeous The Cotton Wool yarn from We Are Knitters and I have to say that I am totally in love! I love the look and the feel of it. I was so excited to design something with it! I have a friend that is having a little baby girl soon and I thought that a pixie bonnet would just be the cutest thing for newborn photos. I made this simple Pretty Shells Pixie Bonnet in newborn size. I hope you enjoy the pattern!
Also, We Are Knitters is generously offer 15% off to all of my amazing readers! Use code WAKSTITCHINMOMMY to get your discount, valid through October 1, 2016.
Pretty Shells Pixie Bonnet
Add to Ravelry Queue and Favorites
Purchase PDF on Ravelry
Purchase PDF on Etsy
- Approximately 47 yds of The Cotton Wool by We Are Knitters in Pearl Grey
- Size H (5 mm) Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
- Approximately 3.5 ft of 5/8″ ribbon
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
hdc – half double crochet
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
st(s) – stitch(es)
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
4.2 stitches & 1.8 rows = 1″
- Newborn – Fits 13.5″ head size
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. If you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
Leaving a 12″ long tail, Ch 46
Row 1: 1 dc into the 6th ch from hook, *sk the next 2 sts, 5 dc into the next st, sk 2 sts, dc into the next st, ch 1, sk the next st, 1 dc into the next st** Repeat from * to ** across, turn. (43)
Row 2: Ch 4 (count as 1 dc and ch 1), sk the first dc and ch-1 sp, 1 dc into the next st, *sk 2 sts, 5 dc into the next st, sk 2 sts, 1 dc into the next st, ch 1, sk the next ch-sp, 1 dc into the next st** Repeat from * to ** across working the last dc into the t-ch, turn. (43)
Row 3-9: Repeat Row 2
Row 10: Repeat Row 2, fasten off.
- Fold rectangle in half, length-wise, so that the beginning of the rows are touching the end of the rows.
- Using the long tail from the beginning chain and yarn needle, sew the 2 halves of Row 1 together with the whip stitch method. (Note: This is the back of the bonnet. The corner is the pixie point.)
- Turn the bonnet 90 degrees counter-clockwise. The top last row is the front of the bonnet.
- Weave ribbon through the bottom of the bonnet for the ties.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.