Welcome back to the 2018 Scarf of the Month Club!
I am so excited to share my new cowl pattern with you. My pattern contribution is a beautiful, vibrant cowl made with Lion Brand Shawl in a Cake. This cowl has a beautiful open weave pattern and pretty fringe! Scroll down to check out the FREE crochet pattern for my Unicorn Kisses Cowl. I hope you enjoy it! Happy Crocheting!
Join us for the July 2018 scarf patterns!
Back by popular demand, Rhondda and I are hosting the Scarf of the Month Club CAL in 2018. We will each have a new free scarf/cowl/neckwarmer pattern on our blogs each month, for 12 months! Plus, we will have 12 amazing designers that will be joining us and will each be contributing a new free crochet scarf pattern as well!
If you want to know more about the Scarf of the Month Club CAL, including the schedule, please visit this intro post.
If you would like to share your progress, please feel free to add your Ravelry Project Pages for each of the scarves you make! Each pattern post will include a specific pattern link to Ravelry so you can add your own project. Rhondda has put together a great tutorial on how to add projects to Ravelry, which you can find here.
We would also love to see your projects on Instagram! Tag us on Instagram at @thestitchinmommy and/or @oombawkadesigncrochet and use the hashtag #ScarfoftheMonthClub2018 to share your progress with us!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Unicorn Kisses Cowl
Purchase PDF on Etsy
- Approximately 200 yds of Category 4 Medium Weight Yarn; I used Lion Brand Shawl in a Cake* in the Unique Unicorn Colorway
- Size I 5.5mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch – chain
hdc – half double crochet
sk – skip
st(s) – stitch(es)
sp(s) – space(s)
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
17.6 stitches & 9.2 rows = 4″ (in pattern stitch)
Approximately 7.5″ wide and 30″ long, before seamed
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
Row 1: 1 hdc into the 2nd ch from hook, 1 hdc into each remaining st across, turn. (31 sts)
Row 2: Ch 1, 1 hdc into the first st, *ch 1, sk the next st, 1 hdc into the next st; Repeat from * across, turn. (31 sts)
Row 3: Ch 1, 1 hdc into each st and ch-sp across, turn. (31 sts)
Row 4-79: Repeat Rows 2-3
- Fasten off.
- Bring the two ends of the cowl together so that the first row meets the last row. Using the long tail and yarn needle, whip stitch the ends together.
- Weave all ends.
- Cut 4 pieces of yarn approximately 8 inches long. Attach to the bottom of the cowl in the even rows (where there is a ch-sp.)
- Repeat for each even row around the bottom of the cowl.
- Trim the fringe to make it even, if necessary.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.