Welcome to the 2021 Scarf of the Month CAL!
For my September contribution, I have a simple cowl made with Lion Brand Jeans yarn. I absolutely love the texture paired with the denim look of this yarn. Next week I will share the free pattern for the matching hat! Scroll down to check out the FREE crochet pattern for the Oh So Denim Cowl. And for 24 hours only, get a FREE PDF version of this pattern from my Ravelry shop! I hope you enjoy it! Happy Crocheting!
Join us for the September 2021 Scarf patterns!
Rhondda and I are so excited to continue hosting the Scarf of the Month CAL in 2021. We will each have a new free scarf/cowl pattern on our blogs each month, for 12 months! Plus, we will have 12 amazing designers that will be joining us this year. If you want to know more about the Scarf of the Month CAL, including the schedule, please visit this intro post.
We will also be continuing to offer a free PDF version of our patterns for 24 hours! Make sure to stop by each blog and look for the coupon code or sale link.
We have also added a supply list! To see the supplies needed for our scarf and hat patterns, click here.
If you would like to share your progress, please feel free to add your Ravelry Project Pages for each of the scarves and hats that you make! Each pattern post will include a specific pattern link to Ravelry so you can add your own project. Rhondda has put together a great tutorial on how to add projects to Ravelry, which you can find here.
Make sure to visit the other Scarf posts from this month’s CAL:
Click here to see Rhondda’s September Pattern: 2021 Easy Does It Textured Scarf Pattern
Click here to see the Diagonal Ripple Scarf by A Crocheted Simplicity
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Click on the button below to download the PDF. Simply add the PDF to your cart and checkout. The pattern should come up as free. There is no coupon code required. Please be advised that we are not responsible for accidental purchases. Because of the digital nature of PDF patterns, we do not offer refunds for digital PDF patterns. Sale ends 9/20/2021 at 11:59pm ET
Oh So Denim Cowl
Purchase PDF on Ravelry
Purchase PDF on Etsy
- Approximately 220 yds of Category 4 Medium Weight Yarn in 4 colors:
- Approximately 44 yds of Color A; I used Lion Brand Jeans* in the Brand New colorway
- Approximately 88 yds of Color B; I used Lion Brand Jeans* in the Faded colorway
- Approximately 44 yds of Color C; I used Lion Brand Jeans* in the Classic colorway
- Approximately 44 yds of Color D; I used Lion Brand Jeans* in the Stonewash colorway
- Size I 5.5mm Furls Streamline Solar Flare Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
st(s) – stitch(es)
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
 – indicates instructions to be worked in one stitch
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
17.2 stitches & 10.4 rows = 4″ (in pattern stitch)
Approximately 7″ wide and 25″ long, before seamed.
Chain a multiple of 3
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
- This project is worked flat and seamed at the ends to create a cowl.
With Color A,
Row 1: Work 2 dc into the 3rd ch from hook, *sk the next 2 sts, [1 sc, 2 dc] into the next st; Repeat from * across until there are 3 sts remaining, sk the next 2 sts,1 sc into the last st, turn. (30 sts)
Row 2: Ch 1 (count as 1 sc), 2 dc into the first st, *sk the next 2 sts, [1 sc, 2 dc] into the next st; Repeat from * across, 1 sc into the to of the t-ch, turn. (30 sts)
Row 3-13: Repeat Row 2
Change to Color B
Row 14-26: Repeat Row 2
Change to Color C
Row 27-39: Repeat Row 2
Change to Color D
Row 40-52: Repeat Row 2
Change to Color B
Row 53-64: Repeat Row 2
Row 65: Repeat Row 2, fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.
- Bring both ends of the cowl together so that beginning row meets the end row.
- Using the yarn tail and a yarn needle, whip stitch the ends together.
- Weave all ends.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.