Easy Holiday Bow Tie – Free Crochet Pattern
I’m so excited to share my first contribution for the 2017 Holiday Stashdown CAL! If you are not familiar with the Holiday Stashdown CAL, you can find more information about it here! This sweet and simple little Holiday Bow Tie is very quick and quite easy to make. This is a beginner friendly pattern that utilizes a simple half double crochet stitch for the bow and single crochet stitch for the center portion. This project uses about 38 yards of Category 4 yarn. It also doesn’t even have to be used as a bow tie! The bow can be used as an accent on top of a holiday present or used as a hair accessory. I hope you enjoy the pattern! Just scroll down below for the instructions 🙂 Happy Crocheting!
Don’t forget! For every completed Holiday Stashdown CAL Project you share HERE through January 8, 2018 (11:59pm ET), you will earn one entry for the giveaway at the end of the CAL!Learn more about the prizes and how to enter the giveaway HERE.
Also, don’t forget to share your project photos with us using the hashtag #CALCentralCrochet. Feel free to tag me on Instagram @thestitchinmommy and share your photos on Facebook!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Easy Holiday Bow Tie
Add to Ravelry Queue and Favorites
- Approximately 38 yds of Category 4 medium weight yarn; I used Cascade 220* in the Goldenrod (7827) colorway
- Size H 5mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
- 3/4″ Bow Tie Clips* (optional)
- 3/4″ Ribbon* (optional)
ch(s) – chain(s)
hdc – half double crochet
sc – single crochet
sl st(s) – slip stitch(es)
st(s) – stitch(es)
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
14.4 stitches & 10 rows = 4″ (in hdc)
Approximately 2.75″ wide and 11.25″ long before seamed
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
Bow Tie Body:
Row 1: 1 hdc into the 2nd ch from hook, 1 hdc into each remaining st across, turn. (40)
Row 2: Ch 1, 1 hdc into each st across, turn. (40)
Row 3-6: Repeat Row 2
Row 7: Repeat Row 2, fasten off leave a long tail for sewing.
Row 1: 1 sc into the 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc into each remaining st across, turn. (5)
Row 2: Ch 1, 1 sc into each st across, turn. (5)
Row 3-12: Repeat Row 2
Without fastening off, sc evenly around, placing 3 sc into each corner. Join in beginning sc with a sl st. Fasten off, leave a long tail for sewing.
- Bring the ends of the main bow tie piece together so that the beginning of the rows meets the end of the rows. Using the yarn tail and yarn needle, whip stitch the ends together.
- Pinch the center of the bow tie together and sew through the middle so that the center of the bow tie is cinched.
- Wrap the center piece around the middle of the bow tie and whip stitch the ends closed, around the bow tie.
- Weave all ends.
- Optional: Attach the bow tie clip pieces to the ribbon either by sewing it on or with hot glue. Pass the ribbon through the back of the bow tie.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.