Welcome to the Scarf of the Month Club!
My bloggy bff Rhondda from Oombawka Design and I are starting a Scarf of the Month Club! Every month in 2016, Rhondda and I will each share one free crochet pattern for a scarf, infinity scarf, or cowl/neckwarmer, through December 2016. By the end of December, you will have 24 free crochet patterns for scarves to choose from to create and share as gifts (or you can keep them all for yourself 😉 )
Want to hear the best part? We want YOU to help us decide some of the details about the scarves that we make. If you have a special stitch you would like to see showcased, a specific style, or even a specific size (length/width) you would like us to include, please let us know by leaving a message on one of our Scarf of the Month Club posts.
The Scarf of the Month Club posts will be available on the second Sunday of every month, with the final scarf patterns available on December 11, 2016. This will give you plenty of time if you need to make one for last minute Christmas Gifts!
If you would like to share your progress please feel free to add Ravelry Project Pages for the scarves you make! Each pattern post will include a specific pattern link to Ravelry so you can add your own project pages!
We would also love to see your projects on Instagram! Tag us on Instagram at @amyramnarine and/or @oombawkadesign and use the hashtag #ScarfoftheMonthClub to share your progress with us!
Also, check out our Facebook Group, Crochet With Us where can share your progress, ask questions, and get help!
A BIG thank you to Lion Brand for the gorgeous Superwash Merino yarn used in this pattern! Happy Crocheting!!
Click Here for January’s Mystery Scarf of the Month
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts! I also received a complimentary skein of the yarn used in this pattern, from Lion Brand Yarn, to be used in my design. I was not financially compensated to use this products in my post.
Simple Woven Cowl
Purchase PDF on Etsy
- Approximately 456 yds of Lion Brand Superwash Merino* in the Hemp colorway
- You will need 2 skeins since you will be working with 2 strands held together
- Size I 5.5mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch – chain
st(s) – stitch(es)
dc – double crochet
FPdc – front post double crochet
BPdc – back post double crochet
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
3.5 stitches & 2.5 rows = 1″
6″ wide and 34″ long before seamed
Chain an even number of sts
- This pattern is written in US terms.
- Sizing will vary depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet. Gauge is not necessary for this pattern but if you would like to keep the sizing the same, please check your gauge before starting this project.
- This project is worked with 2 strands of yarn held together to make for a thicker cowl.
- This project is worked flat and then seamed at the ends to form a cowl.
Holding 2 strands of yarn together, ch 120
Row 1: 1 dc in the 4th ch from hook (count as a dc), 1 dc into each remaining st across, turn. (117)
Row 2: Ch 3 (count as a dc), *FPdc around the post of the next st, BPdc around the post of the next st** Repeat from * to ** across, 1 dc in the t-ch, turn. (117)
Row 3: Ch 3 (count as a dc), *BPdc around the post of the next st, FPdc around the post of the next st** Repeat from * to ** across, 1 dc in the t-ch, turn. (117)
Row 4-15: Repeat Rows 2-3, fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.
- Bring both ends of the cowl together, so that the beginning of the rows meet the end of the rows.
- Using yarn tail and yarn needle, start sewing the two pieces together using a whip stitch or mattress stitch. I used the whip stitch method to seam my ends together but you can also use the mattress stitch if it is easier.
- Weave ends.
Want to stay up to date on the newest scarf pattern releases for the Scarf of the Month Club? Sign up for our monthly notification email! You will receive one email per month when the scarf patterns are released. Sign up using the form below:
Click here to subscribe to our Scarf of the Month Club mailing list
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.