What To Do With Leftover Chicken – Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Hi all! I hope that you’ve enjoyed reading all of the guest posts! I am finally getting back into the swing of things and I have been working on a few posts for you. On Sunday, I roasted a whole chicken in the oven which I like to do on occasion. A whole roasted chicken is my go-to dinner when I want to make sure I have leftovers so I don’t have to cook the next day. Plus, Kenny and Kaylee enjoy it with some mashed potatoes or roasted veggies. So what happens when days later you still have leftover chicken and you’re sick and tired of eating the same thing?
I asked myself the same question. I’ve noticed that on many occasions, I will have leftovers in the refrigerator and I end up throwing them out which is such a waste of money. I just hate eating the same thing day after day. And who doesn’t love variety? Well since we’ve been on a budget lately I’ve decided to start stretching my dollars and using up whatever I have in creative ways. I was determined not to waste the rest of this chicken but to transform it into something else that my family would love to eat. So, I dug around the refrigerator and found some leftover white rice and decided that I could make chicken fried rice! Just a few extra pantry ingredients and you have a delicious and different meal using your leftovers. Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups white rice (Leftover or fresh)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cooked chicken (shredded or chopped)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- soy sauce, to taste
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- green onions, for garnish
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat some of the oil.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and scramble them in the pan.
- Remove the eggs from the pan once they are cooked and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat.
- Add a small amount of oil and saute the onion.
- Once the onions are somewhat cooked through, add the chicken and continue to saute until the chicken starts to brown and is warmed through.
- Add the rice and allow the rice to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Stir everything together in the pan until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the eggs back to the pan and mix into the rice.
- Garnish with some chopped green onions.
We really enjoyed this meal and you wouldn’t even believe that it was made with leftovers. I hope that you think twice about throwing out your leftovers and decide to transform them into something wonderful!
This sounds delicious, Amy. I've been in the same boat before, throwing out leftovers; it's definitely guilt-inducing for me. Love cooking a whole chicken, though, b/c there are so many things you can do with the leftover meat. Mmmm…. thanks for sharing on Inspire Me Wednesday. Featuring in next week's issue.:)
Thanks for the feature Mel! I hope you try the recipe. It really is delicious =)
Amy, I am going to have to make this! It looks and sounds so delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I’d love it if you linked this up over at Living Well Spending Less for Thrifty Thursday this week! http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/category/thrifty-thursday/
Hi Ruth! Sorry I'm so late with this and I missed your link party but I grabbed the button and I will be sure to stop by this week =)