Woven Stitch Tutorial and Afghan Square
It’s that time again…time to learn a new stitch! I am so excited to show you the Woven Stitch because it is beautiful and easy to create with only having to know three basic stitches. It creates a ribbed look once complete and would be great for a garment or any type of hat or clothing. For this example, I will show you how to make and 8″ x8: square. I hope you enjoy the tutorial! Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Woven Stitch Afghan Square Tutorial
- Worsted or Aran weight yarn and any color of your choosing. I used Lion Brand Cotton-Ease for this example.
- Size I Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
bptr – back post double crochet
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
fpdc – front post double crochet
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sl st – slip stitch
Chain an even number of stitches
4 stitches & 2 rows = 1″
Row 1: dc in the 4th ch from hook (3 skipped chains count as a dc), and in each st across. (27)
Ch 3, turn. (This chain 3 counts as your first dc)
Row 2: *fpdc in the next st, bpdc in next st**
Repeat from * to ** across. Dc into the top of the turning chain.
Row 3: *bpdc in the next st, fpdc into the next st.**
Repeat from * to ** across. Dc in the top of the turning chain.
Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until you have 15 Rows, to give you an 8″ x 8″ square. You can add a border if you wish. I would recommend a simple sc or reverse sc (crab stitch) border.
And that’s it! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.
Loving this stitch ! yay keep them coming.
Thank you so much Rosylin! I have many more stitch tutorials coming up 🙂