Let’s learn a new stitch this week! This stitch is the Shell Stitch. It is one of my favorites and is used in one of my most popular patterns. This tutorial shows you how to do the shell stitch and how to make it into an 8×8″ square. Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Shell Stitch Afghan Square
- Category 4 Medium Weight Yarn in 2 colors; I used Lily Sugar n Cream* in Ecru and Rose Pink.
- Size I 5.5 mm Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch(s) – chain(s)
dc – double crochet
hdc – half double crochet
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
st(s) – stitch(es)
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
16 stitches=5 inches and 10 rows=5 inches
To make an 8″ x 8″ square,
Step 7: *Sk the next 2 dc, 1 sc into the next st, sk the next 2 dc, 5 dc into sc from previous row; Repeat from * across, 1 sc into the t-ch.
- Sc evenly around the entire square, making sure to place 3 sc sts into each corner.
- To even out the top row of shells: 1 dc into the first st (the sc from previous row), *1 hdc into the first dc of the 5 dc cluster, 1 sc into each of the next 3 dc, 1 hdc into the last dc of the cluster, 1 dc into the sc; Repeat from * across. This should make the top row straighten out.
- Block to size.
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.