It’s time to learn a new crochet stitch! This week I am going to show you the Sand Stitch. The sand stitch has a nice texture and has a great look to it. For this tutorial, I will show you how to make an 8″x 8″ square. I hope you enjoy the tutorial! Happy Crocheting!
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
Sand Stitch Tutorial and Afghan Square
- Category 4 Medium Weight Yarn in 3 colors; I used Lily Sugar ‘n Cream Yarn* for this example.
- Size I 5.5mm Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
ch(s) – chain(s)
sc – single crochet
sk – skip
sp – space
st(s) – stitch(es)
t-ch – turning chain
() – indicates stitch counts
* – indicates instructions to be repeated
Chain an even number of stitches
3 stitches & 3 rows = 1″
Row 1: 1 sc into the 4th ch from hook (count skipped chs as 1 sc and ch 1)
Row 1 cont’d: Repeat from * across, turn.
For this example, I am going to change colors by pulling my new color through the last loop of the last sc. You do not have to change colors unless you want to. I decided to change colors to make the stitch pattern look clearer.
Row 4-30: Repeat Row 3 to complete your 8×8 square. You can add a simple sc border or just leave it as is!
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT create PDFs of the patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.