I’ve been on a bit of a bag kick lately and I’ve been making all sorts of totes and purses. I decided to make this fun Crochet Nautical Tote for the summer, so that I could have a cute bag to take with me when I go out in the city with my friends. I was looking for a cute nautical tote but couldn’t find one that was in my price range so I just made it myself! It’s a really easy pattern and took me about 3 hours to make in total. It’s great for any stashed yarn that you may have and would look great in any color combo.
This post contains affiliate links. I do receive a commission if you make a purchase through my link(s), which helps support my blog and allows me to bring you more great posts!
I’m excited to announce that this week my Crochet Nautical Tote pattern is also being shared over at Nap-Time Creations as part of the awesome Summer Fun series! Here are the other great posts that are included this week:
Crochet Nautical Handbag by the Stitchin’ Mommy
Strawberry Shortcake by O Taste and See
Mini Greenhouse by Sugar Tart Crafts on Nap-Time Creations
Hop on over to Nap-Time Creations to enter TWO great giveaways…
I hope you will stop by and check out these awesome posts! Now here is the pattern for my new tote. Happy Crocheting!
Crochet Nautical Tote
- 1 skeins (120 yds) of worsted weight yarn in main color (A) I used Lily Sugar n’ Cream White*
- 1/2 skein (60 yds) of worsted weight yarn in accent color (B) I used Lily Sugar n’ Cream Bright Navy*
- Size I Crochet Hook*
- Yarn Needle* for weaving ends
hdc – half double crochet
dc dec – double crochet decrease
hdc dec – half double crochet decrease
With Color B, Ch 43
Row 1: Hdc in the 3rd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 2, turn. (40)
Row 2-3: Hdc in next st and in each st across. Ch 2, turn. (40)
Now we’re going to turn the rows into a round.
Round 1: Hdc in each st across the row, hdc 5 along the side of the rows, hdc 40 across the foundation ch, hdc 5 along the other side. Join in the beg. hdc. (90)
Join Color A
Round 2-5: Ch 3. Dc in the next st and in each st around. Join in top of ch 3. (90)
Join Color B
Round 6-7: Ch 2. Hdc in next st, and in each st around. Join in the top of ch 2. (90)
Join Color A
Round 8-11: Ch 3. Dc in the next st and in each st around. Join in top of ch 3. (90)
Join Color B
Round 12: Ch 2. Hdc dec twice, hdc in the next st and in each of the next 41 sts, hdc dec twice, hdc in the next 41 sts. Join in the top of beginning ch 2. (86)
Round 13: Ch 2. Hdc in next st, and in each st around. Join in the top of ch 2. (86)
Join Color A
Round 14: Ch 3. Dc in the next st and in each st around. Join in top of ch 3. (86)
Round 15: Ch 3. Dc dec twice, dc in the next st and in each of the next 39 sts, dc dec twice, dc in the next 39 sts. Join in the top of beginning ch 3. (82)
Round 16: Ch 3. Dc dec twice, dc in the next st and in each of the next 37 sts, dc dec twice, dc in the next 37 sts. Join in the top of beginning ch 3. (78)
Round 17: Ch 3. Dc in the next 15 sts, ch 1, sk 1, dc in the next 6 sts, ch 1, sk 1, dc in the next 32 sts, ch 1, sk 1, dc in the next 6 sts, ch 1, sk 1, dc in the next 15 sts. Join in top of beginning ch 3. (78)
Join Color B.
Round 18: Ch 2. Hdc in the next st and each st around. Join in the top of the beg. ch 2. (78)
Fasten off. Weave all ends.
Cut 30 strands of yarn (I mixed the two colors) for each side of the handbag (60 strands in total) measuring approximately 40″. You can make them longer or shorter depending on how long you would like your handles. For the first handle, pull your set of 30 strands through one of the ch 1 spaces of round 17. Make a knot to secure the strands to the inside of the handbag. Braid the strands. When you have reached the desired length of your handle, pull the braid through the other ch 1 space on the same side of the bag and knot the bottom. Trim the ends. Repeat for the other side.
For more great posts from the Summer Fun Series at Nap-Time Creations, here are some great ones from last week:
DIY Dippin’ Dot tutorial by Nap-Time Creations
Decorated Shoe Laces by A Girl and a Glue Gun on Nap-Time Creations
Chocolate Salted Caramel and Peanut Snickers Cupcakes with the Crafting Foodie
Busy Binder with Printable Road Trip Games by Cutesy Crafts
Free patterns found on this site can be used to make finished items for the following purposes:
- For personal use
- As gifts for friends/family
- For charity donations
- For sale online
- For sale at craft fairs, outdoor markets, etc.
When using the free patterns found on this site, please be aware of the following:
- You are allowed sell finished items from the patterns found here. However, you may NOT, under any circumstances, use the photos found on this site for selling your items. If you are going to sell online, you should make your own items and photograph them to represent your own work.
- You may NOT copy and paste the pattern onto your own blog, Facebook, or anywhere else. If you would like to share a pattern, simply share the link to the page instead. You are welcome to copy and paste a pattern into a document for printing or saving for personal use only.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site as teaching material and/or for online classes without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT use the free patterns found on this site to create video tutorials on YouTube or any other video platform, site, or blog.
- You may NOT post a translation of the patterns found on this site anywhere without expressed written consent from the designer/owner of this page.
- You may NOT PDF patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form, for intent to distribute to others or post on illegal pattern sharing sites. The revenue earned by ad traffic to this site is what allows for free patterns to be written and published. Without people visiting this site to view the patterns, there will be no traffic which means, no more free patterns.
- You may NOT copy any of the free patterns on this site, in part or as a whole, and claim them as your own pattern.
- You may NOT resell the free patterns found on this site, altered or in its original form.